Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

John Wayne Bardin

John Wayne Bardin

John Wayne was born on  18 January 1939 in Henryetta, Okmulgee, Oklahoma to James Bardin and Bonnie Alene Wakefield.  He died on 19 September 1978 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah from acute coronary insufficiency.  He was buried at Sunset Gardens Cemetery in Sandy, Salt Lake, Utah. 

When I started my genealogy efforts 13 years ago, I learned that several people listed Dad's cause of death as suicide.  Well, needless to say, I was quite upset over this.  I assume that these people made their conclusion from his original death certificate because it stated that he was found on 19 September 1978 with cause of death listed as pending toxicology.  In 2001 I requested a copy of the death certificate to see if they had made a final conclusion of cause of death and came to find out there was a second page to the certificate which stated the cause of death was acute coronary insufficiency.  I went on a crusade to write emails and posts to let everyone know that Dad did not commit suicide.  Regardless, he died way too young.

John married Leona Kay Elmer on 3 May 1957 in Payson, Utah, Utah.  They later divorced.  John and Kay were blessed with 3 children:
     Kathalene JoAnn (Kathy - me)
     Gregory John (Greg)
     Cynthia Lynn (Cindy)

Some of my best memories were when we went on vacations.  Whenever we went on trips, we usually left as soon as Dad got off work and then we would drive all night.  When it got dark everyone would fall asleep and I would stay awake to talk to him while he drove.  I always liked that time because I got Dad to myself.  We would talk about all kinds of fun things.

The summer before he died, Dad and I went to Las Vegas on his motorcycle to see Grandpa and Grandma Bardin.  As usual we left after he got off work.  It was back in the days when the speed limit was only 55 and it got to the point that we were stopping about every 30 minutes because our butts were so sore from the ride.  Boy, did we have fun though!!

Copies of birth, death and marriage certificate in my possession.









 

No comments:

Post a Comment